A glass of water and two teaspoons of salt will make the LED-light dubbed SALt shine for eight hours.
That can't be, people will say. But that's exactly how it is! SALt (Sustainable Alternative Lighting) is a lamp that is powered only by water and one very simple additive: salt. Instead of being traditionally powered by electricity, this lamp goes all hyper on saline solution. Mix two tablespoons of salt with a glass of water and the LED ligths will burn. The manufacturer claims that if you use the lamp for 8 hours a day every day, with proper maintenance, it will give you an anode lifespan of 6 months. A candle would burn out before morning and if we were to use power generators, our lungs would fill with smoke, not to mention the accompanying harmful emissions. An oil or a paraffin lamp may expose you to health hazzards (aspiration, pneumonia) and with open burning flame one must take great care to avoid fire accidents. With SALt you don't need to take any extra care, because it doesn't consist of any inflammatory materials.
SALt lamp uses the technology of the Galvanic cell, the basis for battery-making, changing the electrolytes to a non-toxic, saline solution. Inventors assure us the lamp consists of no harmful parts or substances (it only has 2 electrodes, which are are placed in the electrolyte and the energy that is generated then fires up the LED). It also does not emit harmful gasses and leaves minimal carbon footprint making it very environmentally friendly. The lamp comes with a USB port, so you can even charge your mobile phone with it, if there is no other power source available.
If you live along the coastline, you don't need to create your saline solution – you can simply use ocean water. The salinity of ocean-water will give your lamp 8 hours of running-time. You can even store ocean water in bottles and refill the lamp every time you need some light. It will glow!
Price is yet unknown.