Another victory means safe 32 points of lead in front of the competition.
In the first half, this season of Formula E series has brought an extremely close fights and a new winner at each tryout. Accordingly, the situation in the scoring was exceptionally equal after nine races. Well, at the last races and before the last race weekend in New York, however, things are going to take another route, and the driver who almost single-handedly took care of that also with yesterday's victory is the Frenchman Jean-Eric Vergne.
The driver of the DS Techeetah team came to the Swiss town of Bern as a championship leader. He showed his intentions that he was going to hunt for another victory and made that clear at the qualifying sessions, where he won a pole position. At the same time, he reached the fastest lap in the race and scored three more points for him. But the partly rainy race he led from start to finish for Vergne was still far from easy.
No matter what he did, Vergne was followed by Mitch Evans, the driver of the British team Panasonic Jaguar throughout the race at the tail of his race car. But no matter how hard he tried, the British couldn't trick the Frenchman, so he ended the race in second place and with it a welcome 18 points in a total. On the lowest, third step of the winning stage, the Swiss Sebastien Buemi made it to the joy of the home fans.
"I arrived here like a zombie after Le Mans but nevertheless, I think the team helped me massively to do a good job. They gave me a fantastic car, especially in qualifying. At the end of the race I was definitely slower than Mitch - he was really on it! I wasn’t that fast, but I wasn’t taking any massive risks either, particularly in the last laps when the rain came. I couldn’t believe it… my engineers were telling me rain was coming and I could see the drops on my visor. Nothing is comfortable in Formula E and everything can change so quickly. It’s a good lead - it’s a bigger lead than the one I had last year - but I’m not thinking about it too much. I’ll arrive in New York with the same wish to win the race and do the job. Simple as that," said Vergne after the race.
End results GP Bern:
1. Jean-Eric Vergne DS TECHEETAH 1:25:26.873s
2. Mitch Evans Panasonic Jaguar Racing +0.160s
3. Sebastien Buemi Nissan e.dams +0.720s
4. Sam Bird Envision Virgin Racing +2.996s
5. Maximilian Gunther GEOX DRAGON +4.625s
6. Daniel Abt Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler +6.930s
7. Alex Lynn Panasonic Jaguar Racing +9.972s
8. Felipe Massa VENTURI Formula E Team +12.310s
9. Lucas di Grassi Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler +13.073s
10. Stoffel Vandoorne HWA RACELAB +13.386s
1. Jean-Eric Vergne DS TECHEETAH 130
2. Lucas di Grassi Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler 98
3. Mitch Evans Panasonic Jaguar Racing 87
4. Andre Lotterer DS TECHEETAH 86
5. Antonio Felix da Costa BMW i Andretti Motorsport 82
6. Robin FrijnEnvision Virgin Racing 81
7. Sebastien Buemi Nissan e.dams 76
8. Daniel Abt Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler 75
9. Sam Bird Envision Virgin Racing 69
10. Jerome D’Ambrosio MAHINDRA RACING 65